The Baklava is a popular pastry across the Middle East and here is the Afghan version:
-1 lb. phyllo dough
-1 lb. unsalted butter, melted
-1 lb. ground walnuts
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
-1/4 cup honey
-1/4 cup water
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 tsp. lemon juice
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then ground walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom should all be combined in a mixing dish. Mix thoroughly.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Pour some of the melted butter into a 9×13-inch baking dish and brush it with it.
In the dish, arrange 8 sheets of phyllo dough, smearing each one with butter before putting another sheet on top.
- Over the phyllo layers, distribute half of the nut mixture.
- 8 more phyllo dough sheets should be layered on top, each one being brushed with butter before being added.
- Over the top, distribute the remaining nut mixture. The remaining phyllo sheets are layered on top, one sheet being added at a time, each one being butter-brushed.
- Create diamond-shaped baklava by cutting it.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown, in a preheated oven.
- Combine the honey, water, sugar, and lemon juice in a small pot. Melt the sugar by heating it over medium heat.
- After taking the baklava out of the oven, immediately cover it with the honey mixture.
- Before serving, let the baklava cool for at least an hour.