- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup apricot liqueur (such as apricot schnapps)
- 1 recipe chocolate glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour over the batter and fold in. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan and let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the apricot preserves and apricot liqueur. Heat over low heat, stirring, until the preserves melt. Brush the top and sides of the cooled cake with the apricot glaze.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate, cream, and butter together, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides.
Once the glaze hardens, it’s ready to be served! Enjoy your delicious Sachertorte.