This is a customary sweet bread that is usually served at festive events like weddings and birthdays. This recipe can bake you a large loaf.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk, for brushing
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the butter, eggs, cardamom powder, vanilla extract, and the yeast mixture to the bowl. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Punch down the dough and shape it into a large loaf. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the top of the loaf with the egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake the loaf in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.