● 1 lb of phyllo dough
● 1 lb of ground beef or lamb
● 1 onion, finely chopped
● 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
● Salt and pepper to taste
● 1/2 cup of sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef or lamb and cook until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Season the meat mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let the meat mixture cool slightly.
- Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean work surface and brush it with a little bit of
- Repeat with another sheet of phyllo dough, lay it on top of the first sheet, and brush it
- Continue layering the phyllo dough and brushing each sheet with oil until you have used
about half of the phyllo dough.
- Spread the cooled meat mixture over the phyllo dough, leaving a 1-inch border around
- Layer the remaining phyllo dough on top of the meat mixture, brushing each sheet with
oil as before.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the burek into squares or wedges.
- Place the burek on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with sour cream or yogurt if desired.
Enjoy your homemade Bosnia and Herzegovina Burek!
Note: Burek can also be filled with cheese, spinach, potatoes, or other ingredients.