● 2 cups cornmeal
● 1 cup all-purpose flour
● 1 teaspoon baking powder
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 2 cups warm water
● Oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the warm water to the dry ingredients, stirring constantly to form a thick
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into small, flat discs about 1/2 inch thick.
- Carefully place the discs into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until
- Remove the chikwangue from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels to
remove excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Note: Chikwangue is a traditional staple food in the Central African Republic. It’s a corn-based
dough that is fried into a flatbread and is typically eaten with a variety of stews, soups and
sauces. You can also add some grated cheese or diced vegetables to the dough for added