- Shell half a pound of hazelnuts in warm water
2. Dry them well at the sun or on the fire,
3. Grind them very fine, together with sugar, of a weight somewhat less than the nuts.
4. Put one quart of milk on the fire, and when it begins to boil, put two third lb. lady fingers or macaroons crumbed and let it boil for five minutes,
5. Add a small piece of butter.
6. Rub everything through a sieve and put back on the fire with the nuts to dissolve the sugar.
7. Let it cool and add six eggs, first the yolks, then the white beaten, pour in a mold greased with butter and sprinkled with bread crumbs ground fine. The mold must not be all full.
8. Bake in the oven and serve cold.
This dose will be sufficient for eight or ten persons.