● 1 lb. phyllo dough
● 1 lb. ground walnuts
● 1 cup sugar
● 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
● 1/2 cup melted butter
● 1/2 cup honey
● 1/4 cup water
● 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Take one sheet of phyllo dough and lay it in the bottom of the prepared pan. Brush the
sheet with melted butter. Repeat this process with 8-10 more sheets of phyllo dough,
buttering each sheet before adding the next.
- Spread half of the nut mixture over the phyllo layers.
- Repeat the process of layering the phyllo sheets and brushing with butter, then add the
remaining nut mixture.
- Finish layering the phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the pakhlava into diamond shaped pieces.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, water, and lemon juice. Heat over low heat,
stirring until well combined.
- Brush the top of the pakhlava with the honey mixture.
- Bake the pakhlava in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden
brown and crispy.
- Let the pakhlava cool before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Azerbaijan Pakhlava!
Note: Be careful while handling the phyllo dough as it can be brittle and tear easily. Also, make
sure to keep unused phyllo sheets covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.